at the Chapel
Join us this Sunday, August 31, for worship. Pastor Rebecca Dolch will preach the sermon Prepping the Soil, Sowing the Seed. Download the bulletin here.
The Reverend Rebecca Dolch
Welcome to Forest Home Chapel
224 Forest Home Drive, Ithaca, NY 14850
Sunday Worship at 10:00 a.m.
Mosaic of “Paul Preaching to the Noble Bereans” from the Altar of St. Paul in Veria (Berea), Greece
SPIRITUAL-BUT-NOT-RELIGIOUS” JOB DESCRIPTION
Romans 12: 6-21, rearranged
(The Message with Selections from Revised Standard Version)
WORKING IN A GROUP
- If you help, just help, don’t take over;
- If you teach, stick to your teaching;
- If you give encouraging guidance, be careful that you don’t get bossy;
- If you’re put in charge, don’t manipulate;
- Don’t quit in hard times;
WORKING WITH PEOPLE IN NEED
- If you’re called to give aid to people in distress, keep your eyes open and be quick to respond;
- If you work with the disadvantaged, don’t let yourself get irritated with them or depressed by them. Keep a smile on your face.
- Don’t burn out; keep yourselves fueled and aflame.
DEALING WITH CONFLICT AND “ENEMY”
- Run for dear life from evil;
- Hold on for dear life to good.
- Bless your enemies; no cursing under your breath.
- Don’t hit back;
- Don’t insist on getting even; that’s not for you to do. “I’ll do the judging,” says God. “I’ll take care of it.”
- (Our Scriptures tell us that) if you see your enemy hungry, go buy that person lunch, or if he’s thirsty, get him a drink. Your generosity will surprise him with goodness.
- Don’t let evil get the best of you; get the best of evil by doing good.
- Love from the center of who you are; don’t fake it.
- Be good friends who love deeply; outdo one another in showing honor.
- Be inventive in hospitality.
- Laugh with your happy friends when they’re happy; share tears when they’re down.
- Get along with each other; don’t be stuck-up.
- Make friends with nobodies; don’t be the great somebody.
- Discover beauty in everyone.
- If you’ve got it in you, get along with everybody.
- Be alert servants of the Master, cheerfully expectant.
- Help other Christians who need help.
- Be constant in prayer.
Forest Home Chapel
A Fish Out of Water
As part of our consideration of possibly becoming a United Methodist Reconciling Congregation, seventeen Chapel members and friends recently viewed the video, "A Fish Out of Water."
View the trailer for this most illuminating film, about the challenge of interpreting Biblical texts on the subject of homosexuality, at www.fishoutofwaterfilm.com/.
A copy of the DVD is available to borrow. Please contact Wendy Millroy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors
Upcoming Events at the Chapel
Sundays are in red.
25–29: Church Day Camp (registration required)
29: Camp & Chapel Picnic, Myers Point, 5:00 p.m.
7: Book Discussion after Worship: Clash of Civilizations over an Elevator in Piazza Vittaro.
11: Pastor Parish Relations Meeting, 7:00 p.m.